Friday, June 10, 2011

GOT JUJU?: Hell-hounds

I got to keep movinnnn', I got to keep movinnnn',
Blues fallin' down like hail, blues fallin' down like hail,
Mmmmm-mm-mm-mm, blues fallin' down like hail, blues fallin' down like hail,
And the day keeps on worrin' me, there's a hell-hound on my trail,
Hell-hound on my trail, hell-hound on my trail.---Blues song by Robert Johnson, 1937   Commentary:  Robert Johnson was an obscure blues musician, until by his own report he met the devil at a cross roads at midnight and sold his soul.  He later became and still is one of the most influential blues musicians in history.  At the beginning of his meteoric success Robert Johnson was allegedly poisoned by a jealous husband. If you believe in the devil, it would be just like him to "collect his dues" at the right time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment